Friday 11 May 2012

Brian Hoff Steps to a successful logo


Steps of a Successful Logo
Design Process
by Brian Hoff

The strategies behind designing a successful and memorable logo involves a process which progresses through various stages of listening, research, development, feedback and changes. Below I share my logo process I go through when designing a logo:

Step 1: Defining the problem and understanding the goal

Getting the right amount of details and having a clear understanding of a client’s problems and goals from the beginning is the most important factor when starting a new logo design.

Asking questions such as, How does your company differ from its competitors?, What keywords should best describe your new logo?, or What type of logos typically appeal to you?, will help you and your clients become more on the same page and set up for a successful deliverable. Personally, each of my clients receives an interactive Logo Handout that asks questions about their company and project.

Step 2: Research

After receiving the Logo Handout and initiating phone conversation to get additional details the handout did not provide, I begin researching their company and competitors to get a better feel for their market – this helps in the overall look and message the final logo conveys.

Step 3: Inspiration

Every so often I’ll flip through some logo design books or online logo galleries to get the creative juices flowing. When not designing I focus as much as possible on bettering my own skills and becoming a more aware designer, this way I stay inspired and helps when approaching new work.

Step 4: Sketching and mind mapping

My designs, whether it’s logos or websites, always start off on paper. This allows me to get my brain moving in the right direction and get down as many ideas as possible. Jumping directly onto the computer can slow the creative process – it takes more time to execute ideas and one can tend to pay more attention to minuet details early on. Mind mapping also helps in exploring and growing your topic. You can easily expand upon ideas and keywords. Consider it the sketching of keywords.

Step 5: Digital implementation

After I’ve seen some sketches starting to come alive and take form, I then take my ideas to the computer. My software of choice is typically Adobe Illustrator for creating logos. Lines and shapes in Illustrator use vectors that are easily scalable and retain consistent clarity.

I also in the early stages of the process I do not add colour until I have decided on a couple of ideas that I feel are successful or the client would like to see more of. This allows me to focus more on the mark itself — a good logo should work well in both black, white and colour.

Step 5, 7 and 9: Client feedback

Working closely with my clients is not only essential to my business objectives, but without a doubt helps in the process of creating a logo that represents them and their company.

I do my best to touch base with my clients frequently and get their feedback through various stages of the logo design process. This also helps in building their trust, as the gain a better understanding of what their money is being invested into.




Step 6: More digital implementation

After some client feedback I tend to head back to the computer and make changes or provide additional samples. This gives me the chance to take in more ideas from the client and understand their vision more clearly after the initial feedback.

Step 8: Colour and typefaces

After I’m at least 80% satisfied with the logos I have so designed I play around with colour combination and font variation.

I typically provide my clients with at least 3 different logo samples, each having colour variations and typefaces that work well with the mark and company’s message.

Step 10: Final revisions

After the client comes to an agreement of the best overall solution for their logo, I will go in and make any additional minor changes I feel are necessary, if need be.

At this stage I’ll also mock-up what their new logo will look like on their existing website or stationery. This helps your clients see how the logo works as a collective, not just a stand alone object.

No comments:

Post a Comment